Tuesday 5 March 2013

You sold it how, Sir? (3)


...bad news on my marketing ploy to gain a new coupon from the folk at Facebook. Inserting a recipe or two created by my hero in +Talking With Dog so the advertising campaign targets the good folk in Alaska (see earlier blog) ain't going to work. According to this fellow, http://www.abufares.net/2006/08/100-ways-to-cook-rabbit-recipe-no-26.html, he's figured out a 100 ways to cook a rabbit!
Be pretty dumb for my hero to challenge that and, besides, imagine what it would do to the book's format!
So its back to investigating all the social stuff on FB whilst my two free coupons glare at me and grow older.
Perhaps there is a way of targeting the folk on a very small Island somewhere?? A forgotten culture who, out of admiration for being targeted as part of my sweeping advertising campaign, form a cult...? Recklessly spend dollars, or whatever, on buying the novel?
Where to search, me asks? Amazon jungle....?? Mmmm...

..Ha,Ha...so the plot thickens! Some highly paid marketing exec at Facebook has again targeted me and sent me yet another coupon worth twenty-five quid. I think I'm on a roll here because the two coupons have a different expiry date. Now, if I'm shrewd here (which I am never) I should be able to stock-broker(?) both coupons at intervals, thus raising my advertising budget on *Talking With Dog* (there, got the name in!) to fifty quid -- watch out market, here comes the big time...now, ignoring all this bid clicking and whatever, FB is asking me who I want to target? who or what is my market? I typed in "...anyone who has a spare dollar to spend "...but that drew a negative, which seems honest considering the plight of this planet's economics. Moving on, I investigated further ;- this is all social stuff I see...people who are into film, people who only live in The Alps, people who have children or people that don't. Oh boy...well, it turns out the best target for my novel, are people who are interested in cooking and who live in Alaska and breed dogs (must be because I have Dog in the title). Now there's a thing considering my hero ain't no chef and the whole story is set in a heatwave. Mmm...but he does nosh the occasional rabbit, so if I added in a recipe or two....?? I'm working on this idea as it could spawn a cook book and gain me yet another coupon.
As for the bidding clicks? I'm still lost and hanging onto the remains of the credit card.
I await further marketing advice...or do I just purchase two messenger pigeons and get on with it?


...so I scrape together a few farthings to advertise the self-published novel,#Talking With Dog (had to get that in not that I fully understand this @ or # business) and I surf the net and think; okay, I've got the Facebook page done, but seriously doubt my flotsam of friends are going to give a flying F...so now I look at the Facebook advertising -- they sent me a coupon worth twenty-five quid the clever sods -- but its a head start. Add that to my farthings, I'm in for thirty-five pounds...you see, I'm thinking the economics here; on Amazon I'm selling the book for a pittance, so how much to break even?
Okay -- I'm soon realising that I have to be a stock-broker here -- what is this bidding per click?? Check it out...someone clicks on the dodgy advertisement, and I have to pay..okay, fair deal...but is that above the huge fee I allocated as my budget, or am I going to wake up and see an already drained credit card in the sewer...I froze. I panicked. Delete, delete...
Now I've got a plan -- messenger pigeons...I strap the advertisement to their ankles and off they go...
Must I use # and @ in a Blog to get people read?
Oh boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment